Thursday, September 18, 2008

Superstar..."that's my Dad!"

I don't know if ya'll knew...but my dad is kind of a Superstar....yep...that's what I said...a super star!


A little while ago we were getting back into our car from church. We still hadn't gotten Mike's hanging placard for handicapped parking yet...but we usually parked near a handicapped parking spot so Mike could wheel up the sidewalk using the spot where the curbing dips down. Well...I had just buckled Jocelyn in...and was about to throw Brody into his seat...Mike had forgotten something so he went back into the church a few minutes earlier. Just then Brody yelled "there's Daddy!" I thought...wow...he made it back quick! I looked around...but couldn't see him anywhere. "Where's Daddy?" I said very confused! "There!" he said...pointing to a particular spot in the parking lot. I looked to where he was pointing and realized he'd been looking at a blue handicap picture posted above a parking stall (didn't see that one coming)! He was so proud of himself for spotting it! Mike got a pretty good chuckle when we told him we saw his picture! According to Brody...there are pictures of Daddy all over the place...on stickers...bill boards...government signs and parking spots! There's not a lot of people who get to be in all those pictures! Yep...a Superstar!
Funny note...a little over a year ago...Brody was learning that everyone has a daddy...so for a while...to him...every man's name was "daddy!" If Brody and I would be going into a store...really anywhere...and he'd see a man walking by...he'd say..."Hi Daddy!" Red faced and embarrassed I would quickly jump in "No no....that's NOT your Daddy!" Soon I realized...Brody knew they weren't his dad...but they were some body's dad...therefore their names were "Daddy!" Thankfully, after a few weeks he grew out of it...or so we thought...recently we've had to go through it all over again! Not as much anymore...but for a while...whenever Brody would see another man in a wheelchair...Brody would yell, "That's my dad!" He hadn't really seen another person in a wheelchair before...I think he thought his dad was the only one who had a sweet set of wheels wherever he went! Imagine how confused Brody was when we went into Mike's Physical Therapy and was surrounded by people in wheelchairs! He now looks a little closer at people's faces before proclaiming they're his dad!

7 comments:

Hilary said...

That is so funny. I love to hear the fun little things kids say. I love the pictures of Brody too. Did you take those yourself? If so, I'm very impressed. He looks like a little model.

Becky said...

That is halarious! Mike is totally a super star! Expecially in Brody's eyes! We sure love you guys!

Stephanie said...

Hey Michelle!!! of course I remember you! You have such cute little babies!!! I love the red-head thing... I was sure shocked to have one myself, but I absolutly love it- his orange hair and freckles...
So wow, you guys have been through so much! Although we have been through completely different things we have had a hard adjustment too, nothing compared to yours, but Kevin my husband was diagnosed with Cancer last year when our son was only 3 months old- so I know the fear and pain of having something happen to your husband. no fun at all.
I am so glad you have a blog! i am really excited to keep in touch with you now! Sorry this was really long! Take care! I'll talk to you soon.

Sachiko said...

That is so cute! We as parents live for those moments. Your kids are so darling,Rachel loves playing with Brody in nursery.

Jon and Deb said...

I love these pictures! You really have a talent for photography... and as I've always said... writing. Thanks for sharing. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, such a great blog!
miss you woman!
Rochelle

Jodi and Josh said...

Brody is so funny!
I LOVE his photography! He's pretty good!