Thursday, October 9, 2008

Home...

This late summer and early fall I've been playing softball (thank you Stacy, as a birthday present she let me on the team)! Mike has made it such a fun family activity each Monday night... he, Brody, and Jocelyn all cheer me on...and I think we all have a pretty good time! One night after the game had gone on longer then normal...the fields had cleared and everything was shutting down. We were about to head to the car when Brody ran out to the fields and started making his way around the bases. He had done this several times in the past. He began on third and headed towards second. After a skip and a trip he took a face plant..."oh" is all I heard and he was back up and running towards first (we know...wrong direction)...suddenly the finale light shut down...and the darkness was overwhelming. I felt a sudden lurch in my heart for Brody...being all alone on that dark field. Mike flipped on his flashlight and I raced out to find him in the darkness...We had been cheering him on from the bleachers....which is a fair distance for a three year old. He hadn't made a sound...I was nervous...I had expected to wrap my arms around him as to comfort our frightened little boy....as I neared...I could see his little body still running...only he wasn't running towards me...he was on his way home...rounding out the third and final base....he was just yards from touching the plate...he made one last face plant into the damp red dirt. I reached down to pick him up...before his feet could even touch the ground, he was off again! Ten steps later...Brody...our brave little man...triumphantly made it home! Hands raised in the air...he jumped up and down...Mike and I cheered so proudly!



What a lesson our tiny warrior taught me...don't stop...even when it seems as though I'm heading in the wrong direction and the light is gone...keep heading home...Brody knew we were still there and so he had nothing to fear...Heavenly Father is still there...shining his "flashlight" and cheering us on...and eventually...even after several "face plants"...we will make it "home!"

14 comments:

Tanya said...

What a fantastic analogy. You are such a great example of faith and I love you.
Cheers ):

Jon and Deb said...

Wow, you really touched me with that analogy. Thanks for sharing your insights on life... you always lift me! xoxoxo -Mom

Unknown said...

What an amazing story. Thanks for sharing even though it made me cry. You are both such great examples. I hope that you know that we still pray for you and think of you often. After I read your blog I go home and tell Koby and Steve and they get excited for you too!

Tina said...

AMEN! That was great! What a sweet thing to say about your son!!

Ashley Dawn said...

Awww, that is so sweet. He's such a cute little boy!

Stephanie said...

that is such a good reminder to us. Thanks. Our kids seem to teach us so many important lessons, don't they?

Heather said...

That was beautiful. Thanks for the story. Congrats on the crawl. Mike! You never cease to amaze!

The Gomes Family said...

Amen to shay Tina! I am amazed at the strength and insight children have! Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, wow! That was amazing writing and such a moving example. I loved it and needed it today. I appreciated your comments about my blog as well. I need to get back at it. you are such an amazing person, seriously one of my favorite people on earth! If I ever grow up I want to be just like you! Love you so much.
Rochelle
PS. Let's go play soon.

Robyn said...

K Im so glad you left a comment because I so could not remember yours and I have looked and looked! You are so cute and it was fun playing with you too! But we were all saying that you are one heck of a first baseman!Watch out! Any hoo! Have a super day! And keep in touch and tell you fam hi for me!

Robyn said...

ok Ps, I forgot to say, what a cute blog entry! You so know how to put things right in purspective! I needed that!

Jodi and Josh said...

That story brought tears to my eyes!
Thank you for that wonderful lesson!

Becky said...

Go Brody! Thanks for the thoughts!

Kassi said...

Dang girl! You make me cry, you are an amazing writer. Have you thought of having some of these published in the Ensign or the New Era?