Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hand Cycles...It's Funny How Things Work Out!


It's funny how things work out...back in February Mike and I had been talking real seriously about getting into biking...we were going to do the whole thing...the baby bike trailors...bikes...and even some of those cool bike trips you can go on...like to Lake Powell and Moab...and wherever! It was pretty exciting! A few weeks later Mike had his accident and that dream turned quickly...but not so badly. Mike was life flighted to the ER...and it was there I got to see him. We had a few minutes to speak alone...we talked about our lives...and how they would be different...and what we were going to do...ironically the biking thing was brought up...and quickly solidified...hand cycling! And weirdly enough...it was something exciting for us to look forward to...even in that very crazy hour! So now...8 months later...for the first time...Mike took a shot at a hand cycle! Thanks to the TRAILS program at the U of U hospital we're able to rent them for only $5 a day! Today Mike checked out a few to see which best fit him! It was just in the parking lot...but it was enough to get us both pretty excited about biking! He's applying for a adaptive sports equipment grant...which would essentially pay for the entire bike ($3,500)! We were told that %95 of all applicants are accepted! So needless to say we are pretty excited...so like I said...it's funny how things work out. Thanks for letting us share...wish us luck!

11 comments:

Hilary said...

That sounds like fun! You guys are awesome for looking on the bright side of things as early as in the ER. I hope you get the grant and get biking soon!

By the way, I love the picture of Jocelyn you have on the side. So adorable!

Jason & Kelli West said...

Michelle that sounds like so much fun. You two are so optomistic (spelling?) I admire the strength that you have. Good luck with getting that money for the bike. I can't wait to see some pictures. I hope you have a Happy Halloween!

Tina said...

How fun! 'Yes, I love technology...' It's great that there is equiptment out there so you guys can do everything together. Mike- you are so in shape too. Michelle- you didn't photoshop those biceps did you? :-)j/k. Have a fun Halloween! P.S. how is school?
We love ya!

Tanya said...

Wishing you all the luck in the world!!! Check out Mike's big GUNS! I wouldn't last more than 2 minutes hand cycling...
Cheers and love (:

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow, that's awesome. I want to try hand biking. That looks like a blast. Happy Biking!!

Stephanie said...

that's great! I still don't know how to ride a bike! That was my goal this summer, and once again I didn't accomplish it! Maybe next summer I'll learn ;)

Jodi and Josh said...

Very Cool!!
I'm telling ya... para olympics, here we come!!
Hee hee!!

treadfamily said...

That looks like so much fun. Hope things are going well. I haven't seen you guys in awhile, but I am always thinking about you. We need to come visit, so I will call you and see when you guys are available. Love you

Heather said...

How very cool! I hope he gets the grant and you can take that family trip to Moab. Amazing the options they have for Mike. What a blessing!

Beth James said...

okay Kemp's we'll be looking forward to you biking down our way! We'll see you down here this spring..deal? deal!
Love,
Aunt Beth

Em and Jorg said...

This is amazing! I wish you good luck, though I know a quote that says, "if you didn't work hard, you'd never get lucky" And it's your hard work that has gotten you here. Congratulations :)